Wild & Wonderful West Virginia

Monday, July 9, 2007

Monday...Monday...

What a busy, productive and fun day I had today. My friend Mary Jo and I went to Hobby Lobby this morning and lucked into the best sale ever on Americana stuff....80% off!! I would make pictures of all the cool stuff I brought home, but Don has the digital camera in Pittsburgh with him this week. (I still haven't figured out the cell phone camera thing). Then Mary Jo and I had a great lunch at "Judy's Sandwich Shoppe" in Perry. I had a terrific Hawaiian ham and cheese sandwich on an onion bun and some of the best potato salad I have ever eaten. Thanks Mary Jo! Then it was home to my chores. I got my upright freezer defrosted and cleaned out, worked on my kitchen cabinets and made a few phone calls to get the utilities transferred into our name at the house in West Virginia. Guess what the lady at the water department at City Hall in Weirton told me on the phone?? She said "Mrs. Richey..there is a note on the computer to be sure and tell you that the meter reader has seen snakes around your water meter when he reads the meter in the Spring and Summer." I couldn't believe it. She said she wanted me to know so that if I were out working in the yard that I would be cautious around the meter. I don't even know where the meter is, but I sure intend to find out...quick! She said they come up from the river in the woods behind the house. That sure is A LONG WAY UP! I hate snakes and will now be terrified to enjoy my lawn!

My day was going pretty good then Don called from the insurance office in Weirton where he was securing our Homeowners insurance for closing. Somehow between my written quote on Friday and today the homeowners insurance was increased by $200 a year. Man was I angry. I had already written the check and sent it with Don along with the written quote. Unfortunately for Don we have figured out that filing an insurance claim on that little episode where he flooded my bath and master bedroom last year may have just come back to haunt us!

I am going to conduct a survey...with new carpets and hardwood floors in my new house, I am seriously considering posting this sign in my foyer. I would love for you to comment on this post and tell me if you would be offended by it.



I just worry with all the snow, ice and slush in the winter that things could get messy. Please be honest!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I would absolutely NOT be offended. The first thing I do when I come home is kick off my shoes so I'd just feel like I was at home! ;o) Glad you had a great day! Thanks for all of your sweet comments on my blog. Man I'm gonna miss you! Hugs ~ Kim

Linda said...

would not offend me at all. In fact I need one of those signs here in my home.
blessings
(sandy's sister)

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Hey girl,
can't wait to see all the goodies you got. I almost went to HL yesterday but had too much to get done after being away on vacation.
I used to have a sign right inside my door that said ~
This is an American home run Japanese style ~ please take off your shoes and stay for a while.
I would not be offended - it's your carpet and hardwood floors!
See ya at lunch today!

Shane said...

I don't own a pair of shoes. I'll just dodge the snakes on the way to the river to (waRsh)my feet before coming in.

Anonymous said...

I think that signs a great idea- as long as it isn't hanging over the water meter!